In the interest of public safety and to significantly expedite entry into the Liberty Bowl Stadium for Memphis Tigers games, the city is implementing a clear bag policy that will limit the size and types of bags that may be brought in by fans. The implementation of this measure is intended to enhance public safety while minimizing time spent searching bags at gate security checkpoints, thus easing access into the stadium.
Shop Liberty Bowl Stadium approved bags HERE.
Beginning this fall, fans will be able to carry the following style and size of bag, package, or container into the Liberty Bowl Stadium:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12" (Official Memphis Tigers logo plastic tote bags will be available at Tiger Bookstore beginning in late July 2017).
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bags (Ziploc bags or similar).
- Small “clutch" purses, no larger than 4 1/2" by 6 1/2" (about the size of a hand), with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium in addition to the approved clear plastic bags.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at a gate designated for this purpose.
- Fans will continue to be able to enjoy their tailgate activities on and around campus, and to do so with greater safety and the knowledge that their entry into the stadium will be smoother and faster.
- Spectators also will be able to carry other items allowed into the stadium such as binoculars, cameras, and smart phones, but their cases will not be allowed.
- Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, non-approved seat cushions*, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.
Bag Policy FAQ
Why did the city adopt this policy?
This is about both safety and improving the overall fan experience. The most recent review concluded that there is a need to adjust the policy to enhance public safety and make stadium access more efficient by limiting the size and style of bags carried into the stadium. This proactive measure will enhance safety inside and outside the stadium, and speed the security screening process for all fans. The public deserves to be in a safe, secure environment.
Are other Universities / Venues limiting bags?
Yes. The SEC is expected to mandate a conference wide clear-bag policy for the 2017 season. Nationally, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State already do not allow spectators to carry any bags into their stadiums. The NFL policy, which Memphis’ policy resembles, has been in place for several years. The approved bag size and style is a further step toward convenience and safety.
How does the new policy improve public safety?
The clear bag is easily and quickly searched, greatly reducing faulty bag searches. It also supports the Department of Homeland Security's "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign.
How does this make it more convenient for fans?
It is hoped that this will enable us to move fans through our security check points much faster, as it has at other venues where it has been implemented. A standard bag size simplifies the search process, making stadium security’s job much easier, allowing staff to be more efficient and effective in checking bags at points of entry. It is hoped that there will be less time spent standing in lines at the stadium gates and fans will be able to be in their seats well before kickoff. Shorter lines mean fewer hassles. Also, it is hoped that fans will enjoy an improved sense of safety.
Will the team or stadium be making money from selling?
There are a variety of options, including a clear 12" by 6" by 12" bag with no commercial identification or an inexpensive Ziploc bag, both of which can be purchased at a variety of stores and online. In addition, fans may carry their own small clutches. For fans who wish to purchase the team logo bags, they will be available from the official Memphis Tigers Athletics merchandiser, Tiger Bookstore, before and during the game.
How many bags can each person bring into the stadium?
One large clear bag – either a one-gallon Ziploc style bag or the 12" by 6" by 12" clear bag – plus a small “clutch" purse, no larger than 4½" by 6½". The larger clear bag must be a standard 12" by 6" by 12" made of clear PVC vinyl. The one-gallon Ziploc bag is readily available, inexpensive and easy to search. The small “clutch" allows privacy for small personal items and also is easily searched.
Can fans carry cameras, binoculars, smart phones or tablets separately from what they put in a clear bag?
Yes. Binoculars, phones or cameras may be carried into the stadium, but no cases or bags will be allowed. This new policy is not a restriction on items that fans have been able to bring into the stadium. It is only a restriction on the type of container used to carry those items.
Are seat cushions allowed to be carried into the stadium?
Only approved seat cushions may be carried into the stadium. Large traditional seat cushions that have pockets, zippers, compartments, armrests, or covers are not permitted. Small seat cushions and seat pads without pockets, zippers, compartments, or covers are permitted.
What about bringing blankets in cold weather?
Fans will be able to bring blankets by tossing them over a shoulder or arm as they arrive at the gate. These items can be screened easily.
What happens if I arrive at the Tigers game and do not have a clear bag?
Fans who do not have a clear bag will have several opportunities to purchase clear bags at Tiger Bookstore at the game at our pop-up shop on Tiger Lane and at entry points into the stadium.
Be sure to leave your non-clear bag in your vehicle and only pack your game day necessary personal items in a clear bag before heading to the Liberty Bowl Stadium.
What happens if I arrive at my entry gate at the Liberty Bowl Stadium with a non-clear bag?
All non-clear bags will be prohibited from entering the stadium gates. Please leave your non-clear bag in your vehicle.
Are all purses prohibited?
No. Unlike some event venues, not all bags are banned. Small “clutch" purses, no larger than 4 1/2" by 6 1/2", with or without a handle or strap, are permitted along with either the 12" by 6" by 12" clear tote bag or the one-gallon freezer bag. This should enable fans to carry the same items they have in previous years while providing for quick entry into the stadium because it will take less time to screen bags. Shorter lines means fewer hassles. We encourage fans not to bring any bags, but we have created a policy that balances the needs of spectators with improved public safety and convenience.
Do I have to put everything I'm carrying into the permissible bags?
No. We are only limiting types of bags that may be carried into the stadium, not the items normally brought to a game. Therefore, fans may carry (in their pockets or jackets) keys, makeup, feminine products, combs, phones, wallets, credit cards, etc., if the spectator chooses not to put them in a clear bag or clutch. Spectators also can carry a blanket over their arms, and binoculars and/or camera around their neck or in their hands without a case. Spectators can use the clear bag and clutch to carry other items. They will continue to have the flexibility to bring a wide variety of approved items into the stadium. Every member of a family may carry in their own permissible bag.
What about diaper bags?
Diapers may be carried in a permissible 12"x 6" x 12" clear bag. Each member of a family, including children, will be allowed to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse into the stadium.
If I have medical bag or special medical equipment I need to have with me at all times, where do I put that?
An exception will be made for medical necessary items after proper inspection at specified stadium gates. These gates will be announced closer to the season.
Will this policy affect the ability of fans to tailgate? Are there limitations on tailgating items?
No. Fans will be able to enjoy tailgating activities at Tiger Lane and in parking lots and can do so with greater safety and knowledge that entry into the stadium will be smoother and faster.
For over 50 years, Memphis has known Tiger Bookstore as the preferred provider of textbooks, course materials, and apparel for the University of Memphis and surrounding college communities. Due to growing demand, we’ve created a new division, Tiger PREP, which extends our services to K-12 faculty, administrators, and students.
Tiger Bookstore is Memphis’s longest-serving and only truly local textbook provider. As an approved vendor, we have designed this program to help schools save time and money, while gaining easy access to the titles you require avoiding the hassles of storing and sorting books. Students will also be able to find their required books and order online directly. And for the cherry on top, we’ll upgrade you to a preferred account with our promotions division for any custom apparel and promotional products you might need.
We are able to provide these quality services:
- Access to all books in print needed for your curriculum
- Assistance with finding or researching available options
- Titles approved by all publishers
- ISBN /Title verification
- Transparent pricing structure
- Bulk wholesale ordering available at discounted rates for faculty and administrators
- Reserved and dedicated inventory
- Options to purchase new and gently used texts
- eBook availability
- Books available for rent, saving students money
- Sell back services
- School supplies, Scantrons, biology kits, calculators, and more
- Study aids for classes, ACT, SAT, dictionaries, and reference books
- Experienced customer service and web development team
- On-call service representatives and management - we will come to you!
- Easy-to-use web tool: customized ordering for your school and class
- Custom class reading requirements web page available for your students with links
- 24-hour or less order processing
- Fast shipping and free local pick up
- No service, handling, or restocking fees
- A la carte school apparel and promotional product services including local screen printing and embroidery
Are you an educator or administrator? Partner with us today!